Have you ever wondered where braces came from, how past centuries dealt with orthodontic care, or even where the word orthodontics comes from? We see a lot of curious kids, teens, and adults in our Mesa and Chandler Arizona offices and sometimes we are even stumped by these questions! We did some research, and we learned a few things about the history of orthodontics, and we hope you learn something new too!
- Braces were invented over 300 years ago! That’s right the first braces that we know of historically were invented in 1728 by a French dentist. The brackets were made of metal not unlike traditional braces, however they were tied to the teeth using thin thread. Sounds like you would need a lot of checkups to make sure they were still intact!
- NASA invented the current metal ties we use on traditional braces: Speaking of the materials braces are made of, the thin wires that we use today were developed for the space program. The unique material is the perfect amount of flexible and strong.
- 25% of patients need re-treatment when not treated properly: Unfortunately with orthodontic treatment with both braces and Invisalign aligners, if not worn properly retreatment due to teeth shifting can be common. At Advanced Orthodontics we are very clear with our after-care programs and make sure to check in on our patients.
- Braces will not set off a metal detector: We are busting the myth that traditional braces are magnetic. The metals used for traditional braces will not land you in trouble at airport security!
- Invisalign has led the way in 3-D printing technology: Long before 3D printing was a term most people have heard of the inventors of Invisalign were running with that technology. Now Invisalign has created the world’s largest 3D printing process.
- Did you know Invisalign is very popular with celebrities? The ability to have a discreet way to straighten your smile has made it a great choice for those who are photographed or on screen. Oprah Winfrey, Justin Bieber, Tom Cruise, Serena Williams, and Eva Longoria all have used Invisalign to improve their smiles.
- It’s never too late! You can get Invisalign or braces at any age including children. If a straight smile is something you have always wanted, we are here to make it happen.
- The word Orthodontics comes from Greek Origin: “Ortho” meaning straight or correct and “Dont” meaning tooth. The two come together to perfectly describe the practice.
- All orthodontist are dentists but only 6% of dentists are orthodontists: After graduating from dental school, an orthodontist must go to additional schooling to tailor their expertise in the prevention and treatment of teeth irregularities.
- Advanced Orthodontics has been serving the residents of Arizona since 2005. We have offices in both Mesa and Chandler. Come and see us today or schedule your virtual consultation today!
5 thoughts on “10 Fun Facts about the History of Orthodontics”
The history of orthodontics starts back in ancient Greece and Rome. That’s the only thing I knew about it, and the rest are shared by our dentists at https://timberfallspediatricdentistry.com/. Thanks for this information.
This is an interesting article that helps individuals understand the role of an orthodontist in South Tampa. If you would like to learn more about if you could benefit from seeing an orthodontist near you, speak to your dentist in South Tampa.
Great article source of history to read. Thank you for sharing this.
Many people seek orthodontic treatments in Chandler to enhance their oral health and appearance. If you would like to learn how you can benefit from orthodontic treatments near you, speak to your dentist.
The history of orthodontics is fascinating, with various interesting facts and stories here; very nice information is provided of fun facts about the history of orthodontics. The field has advanced significantly over the years and continues evolving as new technologies and treatments emerge.